Application deadline will be September 30, 2022
We are Persistent in our quest to build climate ventures in Africa
Persistent is a leading climate venture builder in sub-Saharan Africa, founded by thought leaders and pioneer investors in the off-grid energy sector.
We believe that building commercially successful climate impact ventures in emerging markets can both make the world a better place and provide attractive financial returns. We believe that climate change is the biggest challenge of our time and therefore focus on companies that proliferate renewable energy and other climate mitigating solutions to customers in emerging markets.
Our model is simple. We bring expertise and experience, as well as the right financial capital to start-up companies. The Persistent team can provide business and financial modeling, fundraising, legal and tax structuring, technology architecture, digital strategy and HR management expertise.
Our model is unique for two reasons. First, we go beyond boardroom advice, roll up our sleeves and fill
operational roles. Our sector experience helps companies avoid making mistakes we have already seen in the sector. Second, due to our close involvement and deep experience, we can provide risk tolerant capital to our companies in the most flexible way.
Our model provides positive impact and financial returns because we only work with exceptional entrepreneurs, are backed by the most visionary investors, institutions and foundations and because we are Persistent.
We are looking for an exceptionally entrepreneurial person to take a leadership role in our internal finance organization and venture building efforts.
● Lead the financial management of our entities across the US, Switzerland, Kenya and
● Document financial transactions, ensure all financial records and statements are in line
with laws, regulations, and generally accepted accounting principles
● Be in charge of our payments processes and execution including tracking accounts
receivables and payables
● Leading the budgeting process and tracking of actual performance
● Manage the processes for management accounting and undertaking the preparation of
all financial reporting
● Plan, develop strategies and guide the team in all phases of an audit engagement
● Manage the cap table for our Holding company
● Manage overall quarterly investor reporting (financial and non-financial)
● Lead portfolio valuation review and ensure we hold on record all relevant information
of portfolio companies
● Support on the financial model and forecasts for our various mandates and funds
● Assist with finance-related investor relations queries
● Document financial processes (where needed); and, streamline /automate financial
processes whenever possible
Your impact will be evaluated by the following KPIs: Value of – and impact generated through
efficient and effective management of our financial processes; value created through timely
and reliable reporting and completion of audit engagements; cash revenue from advisory and
other mandates; thought leading articles published / presentations given.
● Entrepreneurial experience and mindset: You have been closely involved with early stage businesses, as a founder, team member or a consultant, and know the needs of startups in terms of know-how, experience and financial capital
● Self-starter and allrounder: You are willing to take bold steps to achieve the success of Persistent and our portfolio entrepreneurs. You are not afraid to get your hands dirty and do not consider even basic venture building tasks beneath you.
● Corporate finance and accounting: You have significant qualifications and experience in accounting, corporate finance and audit matters. You can also build corporate and fund financial models, and are able to conduct detailed financial analysis generating actionable insights.
● Building relationships and representing: You are able to build trustful relationships with peers, key partners and stakeholders on the ground.
● You are a team player with an analytical mindset and strong problem-solving abilities.
● Location & Travel: You are based in Africa (preferably can legally live and work in Kenya or Nigeria) and are able to frequently travel to spend time with ventures and the distributed Persistent team.
Ideally, you will also have the following:
● Knowledge of the renewable energy sector in Sub-Saharan Africa
● Experience working within the framework UN SDG 6-9
● An African national and/or significant (6+ years) work and life experience on the continent
Build with us
Our culture at Persistent is entrepreneurial, collaborative and flexible. We seek talented people who are passionate about climate and impact and have a drive for excellence. We offer a dynamic work environment that is required to work closely with our fast-moving partner companies that are located in more than a dozen countries in Africa.
Join us at Persistent and benefit from:
Impact: An opportunity to work directly with start-ups in underserved markets and create lasting social and environmental impact.
Steep learning curve: You will join a small, but experienced team that will enable you to become a multi-skilled professional in a short period of time and build the confidence to embrace and tackle most business challenges.
Opportunity to take initiative: Leverage your expertise to create practical and relevant solutions for companies on the frontline and see concrete outcomes of your work.
Flexibility: Exercise a significant amount of discretion in determining what you do and how you
Persistent is a workplace that gives you the flexibility to balance the requirements of work and private life. While you will frequently travel to our partner companies and to be with your colleagues, you will also be able to work from home when necessary and make use of flexible hours and family focused leave policies. We also offer attractive compensation that is designed to reward your performance and impact over the long term.
Applications to be sent to email@example.com
Application deadline will be September 30, 2022