We are Persistent in our quest to build climate ventures in Africa
Persistent is a leading climate venture builder in sub-Saharan Africa, founded by thought leaders and pioneer investors in the off-grid energy sector.
We believe that building commercially successful climate impact ventures in emerging markets can both make the world a better place and provide attractive financial returns.
We believe that climate change is the biggest challenge of our time and therefore focus on companies that proliferate renewable energy and other climate-mitigating solutions to customers in emerging markets.
Our model is simple. We bring expertise and experience, as well as the right financial capital to start-up companies. The Persistent team can provide business and financial modeling, fundraising, legal and tax structuring, technology architecture, digital strategy, and HR management expertise.
Our model is unique for two reasons. First, we go beyond boardroom advice, roll up our sleeves and fill operational roles.
Our sector experience helps companies avoid making mistakes we have already seen in the sector. Second, due to our close involvement and deep experience, we can provide risk-tolerant capital to our companies in the most flexible way.
Our model provides positive impact and financial returns because we only work with exceptional entrepreneurs, are backed by the most visionary investors, institutions, and foundations, and because we are Persistent.
We are looking for an exceptionally entrepreneurial person with over 3 years of experience in investment and research to play a key role as an Analyst in investment, venture building, and research. Your contribution will be in tandem with Persistent’s investment strategy and value proposition to investors, partners, and the wider industry.
- Provide support to our investment team to identify and evaluate new investment opportunities following our human and financial capital investment strategy
- Supporting the team on ongoing consulting arrangements working directly with current and future portfolio companies
- Participate in managing a portfolio of venture companies against key performance and impact indicators
- Provide support to the team on ongoing portfolio management, investor reporting, and fundraising efforts
- Conduct research on the climate-positive sector in Sub-Saharan Africa, including in the renewable/off-grid energy sector, AgTech (Agricultural Technology), Circular Economy, e-mobility, carbon tech, climate tech, clean cooking, cooling, water, ESG, and impact, among others.
- Drafting of screening and IC Memos
- Assist the fundraising team in developing our fundraising material, including drafting pitch decks and papers and populating and organizing data rooms.
- Draft and develop thought leadership papers, reports, policy briefs, and articles.
- Excellent investment, and research skills as well as exceptional drafting skills particularly in the creation of investment and research papers and reports. Experience working with Apps relevant to the above.
- Experience working in a climate-positive or renewable energy investment fund, impact investor, or other related organization.
- Experience working within the framework of UN SDG 6-9
- Significant (3+ years) work and life experience on the continent
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university in investment or similar discipline. Post-graduate degree an advantage. Entrepreneurial experience and mindset: You have been closely involved with early-stage businesses, as a founder, team member, or consultant, and know the needs of startups in terms of know-how, experience, and financial capital. Self-starter and all-rounder: You are willing to take bold steps to achieve the success of Persistent and our portfolio entrepreneurs.
- You are not afraid to get your hands dirty and do not consider even basic venture-building tasks beneath you
- Building relationships and representing: You are able to build trustful relationships with peers, key partners, and stakeholders on the ground
- You are a team player with an analytical mindset and strong problem-solving abilities
- Location & Travel: You are based in Africa (preferably can legally live and work in Kenya or Nigeria) and are able to frequently travel to spend time with ventures and the distributed Persistent team
Build with us
Our culture at Persistent is entrepreneurial, collaborative and flexible. We seek talented people who are passionate about climate and impact and have a drive for excellence. We offer a dynamic work environment that is required to work closely with our fast-moving partner companies that are located in more than a dozen countries in Africa.
Join us at Persistent and benefit from:
Impact: An opportunity to work directly with start-ups in underserved markets and create lasting social and environmental impact.
Steep learning curve: You will join a small, but experienced team that will enable you to become a multi-skilled professional in a short period of time and build the confidence to embrace and tackle most business challenges.
Opportunity to take initiative: Leverage your expertise to create practical and relevant solutions for companies on the frontline and see concrete outcomes of your work.
Flexibility: Exercise a significant amount of discretion in determining what you do and how you do it.
Persistent is a workplace that gives you the flexibility to balance the requirements of work and private life. While you will frequently travel to our partner companies and be with your colleagues, you will also be able to work from home when necessary and make use of flexible hours and family-focused leave policies. We also offer attractive compensation that is designed to reward your performance and impact over the long term.
Applications to be sent to email@example.com
Application Deadline – May 22, 2023