We are Persistent in our quest to build ventures with a sustainable impact.
Persistent is a leading venture builder in sub-Saharan Africa, founded by thought leaders and pioneer investors in the off-grid sector.
We believe that building commercially successful impact ventures in emerging markets can make the world a better place and provide attractive financial returns at the same time.
We believe that climate change is the challenge of our time and therefore focus on companies that proliferate renewable energy and other climate mitigating solutions to customers in emerging markets.
Our model is simple. We bring know-how and experience as well as the right financial capital to start-up companies. The Persistent team can provide expertise in business and financial modelling, fundraising, legal and tax structuring, technology architecture, digital strategy and HR management.
Our model is unique for two reasons. First, we have the capacity to go beyond boardroom advice and roll up our sleeves to fill operational roles. Second, due to our close involvement and experience, we can provide flexible and risk tolerant capital to our companies in an efficient way.
Our model provides positive impact and financial return because we work only with exceptional entrepreneurs, we are backed by the most visionary investors, institutions and foundations, and because we are persistent.
We are looking for an exceptional Lead Venture Builder in Technology with a pronounced entrepreneurial mindset to lead all technological aspects of Persistent’s venture building activities, with a particular focus on information technology and data.
You will have experience being the technology leader in a growing company, ideally as a Chief Technology Officer, Chief Information Officer, or in a similar role.
The role will preferably be based either in Lagos or Nairobi.
As the Lead Venture Builder in Technology, you will:
- Fill interim CTO/CIO-type positions at our portfolio companies
- Provide IT/technology consulting and advisory services to our business partners
- Conduct technical due diligence on potential new investments
- Lead development of Persistent’s own technology infrastructure
- Carry out research on technology trends, including both hardware and software, in renewable/off-grid energy and adjacent sectors in emerging markets
You fulfill the following requirements:
- You have a Master’s degree in a technical discipline (engineering, IT, software development)
- You have a min 5 years experience in a CTO/CIO or similar type of role, ideally in the renewable energy sector in sub-Saharan Africa
- You are comfortable with a hybrid role that covers both improving internal IT operations and building the technology offerings that enable the growth of a business
- You are passionate about our mission to enable companies in emerging markets to positively impact the climate and the lives of individuals our companies serve as they grow and scale
- You have first hand entrepreneurial experience, ideally from having been a founder or an entrepreneur in an early stage business, giving you intimate knowledge of the needs of startups in terms of technology and financial capital
- You are a self-starter and all-rounder that is willing to take bold steps and to pull organisations along with you, resulting in sustainable performance of our portfolio, and highly motivated colleagues and portfolio entrepreneurs. You are willing to get your hands dirty and do not consider even the most basic venture building tasks beneath you.
- You are a team player with an analytical mindset and strong problem-solving abilities
Build with us
Our culture at Persistent is entrepreneurial, collaborative and flexible. We seek talented people who are passionate about impact and have a drive for excellence. We offer a dynamic work environment that is required to work closely with our fast-moving partner companies that are located in more than a dozen countries in Africa.
Join us at Persistent and benefit from:
Impact: An opportunity to work directly with start-ups in underserved markets and create lasting social and environmental impact.
Steep learning curve: You will join a small, but experienced team that will enable you to become a multi-skilled professional in a short period of time and build the confidence to embrace and tackle most business challenges.
Opportunity to take initiative: Leverage your expertise to create practical and relevant solutions for companies on the front line and see concrete outcomes of your work.
Flexibility: Exercise a significant amount of discretion in determining what you do and how you do it.
Persistent is a workplace that gives you the flexibility to balance the requirements of work and private life. While you will frequently travel to our partner companies and to be with your colleagues, you will also be able to work from home when necessary, and make use of flexible hours and family-focused leave policies. We also offer attractive compensation that is designed to reward your performance and impact over the long term.