We are Persistent in our quest to build ventures with a sustainable impact.
Persistent is a leading venture builder in sub-Saharan Africa, founded by thought leaders and pioneer investors in the off-grid sector.
We believe that building commercially successful impact ventures in emerging markets can make the world a better place and provide attractive financial returns at the same time.
We believe that climate change is the challenge of our time and therefore focus on companies that proliferate renewable energy and other climate mitigating solutions to customers in emerging markets.
Our model is simple: We bring know-how and experience as well as the right financial capital to start-up companies. The Persistent team can provide business and financial modelling, fundraising, legal and tax structuring, technology architecture, digital strategy and HR management expertise.
Our model is unique for two reasons: First, we have the capacity to go beyond boardroom advice and roll up our sleeves to fill operational roles. Second, due to our close involvement and experience, we can provide flexible and risk tolerant capital to our companies in an efficient way.
Our model provides positive impact and financial return because we work only with exceptional entrepreneurs, because we are backed by the most visionary investors, institutions and foundations and because we are persistent.
We are looking for an exceptional marketing manager in Zurich to run Persistent’s marketing, research and communication. You will research and analyze industry trends in the renewable/off-grid energy sector in emerging markets and create a strategy to market and communicate Persistent’s value proposition to investors, partners and the wider industry.
- Conduct research of the renewable/off-grid energy sector in emerging markets, in particular in sub-Saharan Africa, and identify and analyze industry trends
- Share and publish findings of research and analysis internally and externally in suitable professional, concise and value-adding formats
- Acquire deep knowledge of Persistent, its mission and its employees, and a superior understanding of our business model and value proposition
- Promote and position Persistent as a positive force in our ecosystem
- Create awareness and new opportunities for Persistent as an investor, fundraiser, partner and employer
- Define, get consensus on, drive and execute branding, communication and marketing strategy
- Define, develop and manage our brand and reputation as thought leaders, effective venture builders, and a great place to work for
- Be an integral part Persistent’s business and development, to proactively spot and execute on communication opportunities
- Advise Persistent partner companies on marketing and communications
You fulfill the following requirements:
- A degree in marketing, communications or a related research-focused field
- 5 year experience as Marketing manager/Analyst/Researcher/Writer/Journalist
- Entrepreneurial profile aligned with the venture building spirit of Persistent and its network of portfolio companies
- Competent and proactive marketer, researcher and writer with a broad intellectual curiosity for development in sub-Saharan Africa and the fostering of clean energy solutions.
- Passionate story-teller able to create capturing professional presentations fully independently, for formats such as pitch decks and conference presentations
- Ability to tailor the content and adjust the tone of voice of our communication and apply it correctly to the right communication channels
- Ability to offer research and advisory services to partners in our ecosystem
- Strong communication skills and ability to engagingly speak in public
- Ability to build trustful relationships with peers, key partners and stakeholders
- Team player with an analytical mindset and strong problem-solving abilities
Ideally, you will also have the following:
- Advanced expertise in digital design and marketing
- Experience in renewable/off-grid energy
- Experience in sub-Saharan Africa
Build with us
Our culture at Persistent is entrepreneurial, collaborative and flexible. We seek talented people who are passionate about impact and have a drive for excellence. We offer a dynamic work environment that is required to work closely with our fast-moving partner companies that are located in more than a dozen countries in Africa.
Join us at Persistent and benefit from:
Impact: An opportunity to work directly with start-ups in underserved markets and create lasting social and environmental impact.
Steep learning curve: You will join a small, but experienced team that will enable you to become a multi-skilled professional in a short period of time and build the confidence to embrace and tackle most business challenges.
Opportunity to take initiative: Leverage your expertise to create practical and relevant solutions for companies on the frontline and see concrete outcomes of your work.
Flexibility: Exercise a significant amount of discretion in determining what you do and how you do it.
Persistent is a workplace that gives you the flexibility to balance the requirements of work and private life. While you will frequently travel to our partner companies and to be with your colleagues, you will also be able to work from home when necessary, and make use of flexible hours and family focused leave policies. We also offer attractive compensation that is designed to reward your performance and impact over the long term.