We are Persistent in our quest to build climate ventures in Africa.
Persistent is a leading climate venture builder in sub-Saharan Africa, founded by thought leaders and pioneer investors in the off-grid energy sector.
We believe that building commercially successful climate impact ventures in emerging markets can both make the world a better place and provide attractive financial returns.
We believe that climate change is the biggest challenge of our time and therefore focus on companies that proliferate renewable energy and other climate mitigating solutions to customers in emerging markets.
Our model is simple. We bring expertise and experience, as well as the right financial capital to start-up companies. The Persistent team can provide business and financial modeling, fundraising, legal and tax structuring, technology architecture, digital strategy and HR management expertise.
Our model is unique for two reasons. First, we go beyond boardroom advice, roll up our sleeves and fill operational roles. Our sector experience helps companies avoid making mistakes we have already seen in the sector. Second, due to our close involvement and deep experience, we can provide risk-tolerant capital to our companies in the most flexible way.
Our model provides positive impact and financial returns because we only work with exceptional entrepreneurs, are backed by the most visionary investors, institutions and foundations, and because we are Persistent.
We are looking for an exceptionally entrepreneurial person to take a leadership role in our venture building efforts.
- Identify and evaluate new investment opportunities following our human and financial capital investment strategy
- Work part of your time in operational roles in our partner companies
- Manage a portfolio of venture companies against key performance and impact indicators
- Provide advisory work within the mandate of existing partnerships such as the EEGF and opportunistically to generate additional revenue, gain market insights and develop business opportunities
- Actively contribute to our investment process
- Support our ongoing fundraising
- Support recruitment, training and development of additional venture advisors and other team members
- Provide industry thought leadership through research and by representing Persistent at conferences, other events and generally in the African community
Your impact will be evaluated by the following KPIs: Value of – and impact generated by sweat equity positions added to Persistent balance sheet; value created through originated investments; people added and successfully integrated into the team; cash revenue from advisory and other mandates; thought-leading articles published / presentations given.
- Self-starter and all-arounder: You are willing to take bold steps and to bring the organization with you, resulting in new investment opportunities, sustainable performance of our portfolio, and highly motivated colleagues and portfolio entrepreneurs. You are willing to get your hands dirty and do not consider even basic venture building tasks beneath you.
- Business model design and financial analysis: You have the ability to build financial models for successful businesses, you are able to conduct detailed financial analysis generating actionable insights, and you have a sound understanding of corporate finance matters and accounting.
- Building relationships and representing: You understand and have strong connections within the start-up ecosystems in Africa. You are able to build out our Africa presence on the ground and connect it to the relevant actors in the ecosystem Persistent operates in. You have the confidence and competence to be a public voice for Persistent in public speaking, writing, and participating in industry groups and the community at large.
- Entrepreneurial experience and mindset and/or early-stage investing experience: Ideally you have been a founder or an entrepreneur in an early-stage business and know the needs of startups in terms of know-how, experience, and financial capital. In addition or alternatively, you have experience investing in early-stage companies and supporting them in their growth.
- Team player with strong leadership and management skills: You are able to set direction and to enable and empower colleagues within an organization.
- Travel: You are able to frequently travel to spend time with ventures and the distributed Persistent team.
- Location: You are based in West Africa and/or have a strong local network in West Africa.
Ideally, you will also have the following:
- Knowledge of the renewable energy sector in sub-Saharan Africa
- Experience working within the framework UN SDG 6-9
Build with us
Our culture at Persistent is entrepreneurial, collaborative, and ﬂexible. We seek talented people who are passionate about climate and impact and have a drive for excellence. We offer a dynamic work environment that is required to work closely with our fast-moving partner companies that are located in more than a dozen countries in Africa.
Join us at Persistent and benefit from:
Impact: An opportunity to work directly with start-ups in underserved markets and create lasting social and environmental impact.
Steep learning curve: You will join a small, but experienced team that will enable you to become a multi-skilled professional in a short period of time and build the confidence to embrace and tackle most business challenges.
Opportunity to take initiative: Leverage your expertise to create practical and relevant solutions for companies on the frontline and see concrete outcomes of your work.
Flexibility: Exercise a significant amount of discretion in determining what you do and how you do it.
Persistent is a workplace that gives you the ﬂexibility to balance the requirements of work and private life. While you will frequently travel to our partner companies and to be with your colleagues, you will also be able to work from home when necessary and make use of ﬂexible hours and family-focused leave policies. We also offer attractive compensation that is designed to reward your performance and impact over the long term.
Applications to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.