We are Persistent in our quest to build climate ventures in Africa
Persistent is a leading climate venture builder in sub-Saharan Africa, founded by thought leaders and pioneer investors in the off-grid energy sector.
We believe that building commercially successful climate impact ventures in emerging markets can both make the world a better place and provide attractive financial returns.
We believe that climate change is the biggest challenge of our time and therefore focus on companies that proliferate renewable energy and other climate mitigating solutions to customers in emerging markets.
Our model is simple. We bring expertise and experience, as well as the right financial capital to start-up companies. The Persistent team can provide business and financial modelling, fundraising, legal and tax structuring, technology architecture, digital strategy and HR management expertise.
Our model is unique for two reasons. First, we go beyond boardroom advice, roll up our sleeves and fill operational roles. Our sector experience helps companies avoid making mistakes we have already seen in the sector. Second, due to our close involvement and deep experience, we can provide risk tolerant capital to our companies in the most flexible way.
Our model provides positive impact and financial returns because we only work with exceptional entrepreneurs, are backed by the most visionary investors, institutions and foundations and because we are Persistent.
We are looking for an exceptionally entrepreneurial person to take a leadership role in our internal finance organisation and venture building efforts.
- Support us in the financial management of our entities across Kenya, Nigeria, Switzerland and the US
- Document financial transactions, ensure all financial records and statements are in line with laws, regulations, and generally accepted accounting principles
- Supporting and leading the budgeting process and tracking of actual performance
- Manage the processes for management accounting, cap table management and undertaking the preparation of all financial reporting
- Be in charge of our payments processes and execution including tracking accounts receivables and payables
- Plan, develop strategies, and guide the team in all phases of an audit engagement
- Work part of your time in a venture building capacity, in financial and operational roles in our portfolio and partner companies
- As part of venture building, participate in managing a portfolio of venture companies against key performance and impact indicators
- Contribute to industry thought leadership through research and by representing Persistent at conferences, other events and generally in the climate impact and energy ecosystem
Your impact will be evaluated by the following KPIs: Value of – and impact generated through efficient and effective management of our financial processes; value created through timely and reliable reporting and completion of audit engagements; cash revenue from advisory and other mandates; thought leading articles published / presentations given.
- Entrepreneurial experience and mindset: You have been closely involved with early stage businesses, as a founder, team member or a consultant, and know the needs of startups in terms of know-how, experience and financial capital
- Self-starter and allrounder: You are willing to take bold steps to achieve the success of Persistent and our portfolio entrepreneurs. You are not afraid to get your hands dirty and do not consider even basic venture building tasks beneath you
- Corporate finance and accounting: You have significant qualifications and experience in accounting, corporate finance and audit matters. You can also build corporate and fund financial models, and are able to conduct detailed financial analysis generating actionable insights
- Building relationships and representing: You are able to build trustful relationships with peers, key partners and stakeholders on the ground
- You are a team player with an analytical mindset and strong problem-solving abilities
- Location & Travel: You are based in Africa (preferably can legally live and work in Kenya or Nigeria) and are able to frequently travel to spend time with ventures and the distributed Persistent team
Ideally, you will also have the following:
- Knowledge of the renewable energy sector in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Experience working within the framework UN SDG 6-9
- An African national and/or significant (3+ years) work and life experience on the continent
Build with us
Our culture at Persistent is entrepreneurial, collaborative and flexible. We seek talented people who are passionate about climate and impact and have a drive for excellence. We offer a dynamic work environment that is required to work closely with our fast-moving partner companies that are located in more than a dozen countries in Africa.
Join us at Persistent and benefit from:
Impact: An opportunity to work directly with start-ups in underserved markets and create lasting social and environmental impact.
Steep learning curve: You will join a small, but experienced team that will enable you to become a multi-skilled professional in a short period of time and build the confidence to embrace and tackle most business challenges.
Opportunity to take initiative: Leverage your expertise to create practical and relevant solutions for companies on the frontline and see concrete outcomes of your work.
Flexibility: Exercise a significant amount of discretion in determining what you do and how you do it.
Persistent is a workplace that gives you the flexibility to balance the requirements of work and private life. While you will frequently travel to our partner companies and to be with your colleagues, you will also be able to work from home when necessary, and make use of flexible hours and family focused leave policies. We also offer attractive compensation that is designed to reward your performance and impact over the long term.
Applications to be sent to email@example.com