We are Persistent in our quest to build ventures with a sustainable impact.
Persistent is a leading venture builder in sub-Saharan Africa, founded by thought leaders and pioneer investors in the off-grid energy sector.
We believe that building commercially successful impact ventures in emerging markets both can make the world a better place and provide attractive financial returns.
We believe that climate change is the biggest challenge of our time and therefore focus on companies that proliferate renewable energy and other climate mitigating solutions to customers in emerging markets.
Our model is simple. We bring expertise and experience, as well as the right financial capital to start-up companies. The Persistent team can provide business and financial modelling, fundraising, legal and tax structuring, technology architecture, digital strategy and HR management expertise.
Our model is unique for two reasons. First, we have the capacity to go beyond boardroom advice, roll up our sleeves and fill operational roles. Second, due to our close involvement and deep experience, we can provide flexible and risk tolerant capital to our companies in an efficient way.
Our model provides positive impact and financial returns because we only work with exceptional entrepreneurs, are backed by the most visionary investors, institutions and foundations and because we are Persistent.
We are looking for an exceptionally entrepreneurial person to join our venture building efforts in sub-Saharan Africa as an intern.
- Provide support to our investment team to identify and evaluate new investment opportunities following our human and financial capital investment strategy
- Supporting the team on ongoing consulting arrangements working directly with current and future portfolio companies
- Contribute to industry thought leadership through independent research and analysis in our core investment areas such as off-grid solar home systems, commercial and industrial solar and e-mobility
- Provide support to the team on ongoing portfolio support, investor reporting and fundraising efforts
- You have completed your bachelors degree or are in the final year and have gained some practical experience (at least 1-2 internships, ideally 1-2 years of work experience)
- Excellent academic record: Shown at high school and university level
- Entrepreneurial mindset: A track record of leadership and initiative in your communities (e.g. school, academic, personal, community)
- Business model design and financial analysis: You have the ability to understand and draw conclusions from financial models, you are able to conduct detailed financial analysis generating actionable insights, and you have a sound understanding of corporate finance matters and accounting
- Building relationships and representing: You are able to build trustful relationships with peers, key partners and stakeholders on the ground
- You are a team player with an analytical mindset and strong problem-solving abilities
- Location & Travel: You are based in Africa and are willing to travel (depending on the Corona situation)
Ideally, you will also have the following:
- Knowledge of the renewable energy sector in sub-Saharan Africa
- Experience working within the framework UN SDG 6-9
- An African national or permanent resident
Build with us
Our culture at Persistent is entrepreneurial, collaborative and flexible. We seek talented people who are passionate about impact and have a drive for excellence. We offer a dynamic work environment that is required to work closely with our fast-moving partner companies that are located in more than a dozen countries in Africa.
Join us at Persistent and benefit from:
Impact: An opportunity to work directly with start-ups in underserved markets and create lasting social and environmental impact.
Steep learning curve: You will join a small, but experienced team that will enable you to become a multi-skilled professional in a short period of time and build the confidence to embrace and tackle most business challenges.
Opportunity to take initiative: Leverage your expertise to create practical and relevant solutions for companies on the frontline and see concrete outcomes of your work.
Flexibility: Exercise a significant amount of discretion in determining what you do and how you do it.
Persistent is a workplace that gives you the flexibility to balance the requirements of work and private life. While you will frequently travel to our partner companies and to be with your colleagues, you will also be able to work from home when necessary, and make use of flexible hours and family focused leave policies. We also offer attractive compensation that is designed to reward your performance and impact over the long term.
Contact: Send your CV and motivation letter to email@example.com.