Application Deadline – September 27, 2023
We are Persistent in our quest to build climate ventures in Africa
Persistent is the leading climate venture builder in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). We are pioneer investors, thought leaders and venture builders driving climate friendly investments in, amongst others, the distributed renewable energy (DRE), e-mobility, energy efficiency, eco-system enablers and and other climate technologies.
We believe that building commercially successful climate impact ventures in emerging markets can both make the world a better place and provide attractive financial returns.
We believe that climate change is the biggest challenge of our time and therefore focus on companies that proliferate renewable energy and other climate-mitigating solutions to customers in emerging markets.
Our model is simple. We bring expertise and experience, as well as the right financial capital to start-up companies. The Persistent team can provide business and financial modeling, fundraising, legal and tax structuring, technology architecture, digital strategy, and HR management expertise.
Our model is unique for two reasons. First, we go beyond boardroom advice, roll up our sleeves and fill operational roles. Our sector experience helps companies avoid making mistakes we have already seen in the sector. Second, due to our close involvement and deep experience, we can provide risk-tolerant capital to our companies in the most flexible way.
In addition to its core venture building business, Persistent also brings its expertise to two investment advisory mandates: the 49M EUR Clean Energy and Energy Inclusion for Africa Foundation (“CEI Africa”) and the 120M USD Energy Entrepreneurs Growth Fund (“EEGF”) – being active part of the investment teams as well as providing hands-on support to the respective investees.
Our model provides positive impact and financial returns because we only work with exceptional entrepreneurs, are backed by the most visionary investors, institutions, and foundations, and because we are Persistent.
We are looking for an exceptionally entrepreneurial person with significant experience (ideally 7+ years) making debt and/or equity investment in Africa to play a leading role in identifying, assessing and managing equity and debt-based investments into companies active in the DRE and access to energy sectors in Africa. While the role will primarily be linked to the EEGF mandate, there may be opportunities to work on investments linked to Persistent’s own direct investments; and its CEI Africa mandate.
- Identify a pipeline of potential equity and debt investments in Africa-focused, DRE and energy access companies.
- Actively support/lead, as the case may be, due diligence activities including:
– Analyze/articulate business models to identify and communicate key model elements; and market relevance
– Build/analyze financial models to identify and communicate key drivers, funding absorption capacity and financial risks
– Conduct/support stakeholder interviews with the ability to ask the right key questions to efficiently gather the basis for decision
– Develop/support the development of investment memo preparation; and associated presentation to secure key buy-ins (including to relevant investment committees (ICs)
- Liaise with and negotiate with investees and our investment partners
- Play active roles in the drafting and development of thought leadership papers, reports, policy briefs, and articles
- Entrepreneurial mindset/experience and mindset: you learn quickly and get your hands dirty; you can operate in a fast-paced environment; well; you’re a self-starter; you own things you agree to do; you deliver; and, you’ve been in the trenches (e.g. startup, another investment fund, etc.)
- You are a team player and know how to motivate yourself and others
- You have significant (ideally 7+ years) experience making equity and/or debt investments in Sub-Saharan Africa; deal origination, deal structuring, deal execution, and post execution deal management
- You have relevant off-grid sector/ecosystem investment experience including, for example: SHS, C&I, mini-grids, and associated ecosystem enablers
- You have strong project and stakeholder management skills, including experience in successful negotiation
- You have advanced excel modeling skills and analytical thinking
- You have post-deal, portfolio management experience (ideally including experience as board representation)
- The following a strong plusses
– Strong research experience (for investment purposes)
– Good writer (reports, investment memo’s, tailored to the various audiences)
– Strong knowledge of blended finance structures
– Experience working within the framework UN SDGs 6-9.
- Location & Travel: You are based in Africa (preferably can legally live and work in Kenya or Nigeria) and are able to travel as needed
Build with us
Our culture at Persistent is entrepreneurial, collaborative and flexible. We seek talented people who are passionate about climate and impact and have a drive for excellence. We offer a dynamic work environment that is required to work closely with our fast-moving partner companies that are located in more than a dozen countries in Africa.
Join us at Persistent and benefit from:
Impact: An opportunity to work directly with start-ups in underserved markets and create lasting social and environmental impact.
Steep learning curve: You will join a small, but experienced team that will enable you to become a multi-skilled professional in a short period of time and build the confidence to embrace and tackle most business challenges.
Opportunity to take initiative: Leverage your expertise to create practical and relevant solutions for companies on the frontline and see concrete outcomes of your work.
Flexibility: Exercise a significant amount of discretion in determining what you do and how you do it.
Persistent is a workplace that gives you the flexibility to balance the requirements of work and private life. While you will frequently travel to our partner companies and be with your colleagues, you will also be able to work from home when necessary and make use of flexible hours and family-focused leave policies. We also offer attractive compensation that is designed to reward your performance and impact over the long term.
Applications to be sent to email@example.com
Application Deadline – September 27, 2023